1. My full name is Apollina Justina Casal Spoto (now Baker). I am the second of 4 girls and all of our names begin and end with A (Aisha, Astiana and Ahdazsa). Which is a big part of why we gave Amara her name.
3. I had a nose job. Two actually. I used to have a more pronounced, Italian looking nose (which I kind of miss), accentuated by a crooked bone thanks to a sledding incident. I had surgery to fix my septum and have my nose set straight but it was even more crooked afterwards (the septum is a stubborn thing) and I regretted not having more cosmetic work done. I had a corrective rhinoplasty and decided while under the knife, to slenderize my schnoz and shave down the bump. My nose is still crooked but I like it. I was pretty self conscious before and now, I don't give my nose a second thought. Brad likes to joke that I gave him the old bait-and-switch:) Our kids are going to have these huge noses and not know where they came from!
4. I am allergic to apples. I know, Apollina is allergic to apples?! Apples, plums, pears and soy.
5. One of my sisters, Asti, passed away almost 13 years ago. She was 19, I was 21 (we are the two middle sisters). We were in a medical malpractice lawsuit for several years following her death and it was an incredibly horrible time in all of our lives. One of the reasons I wanted to become an attorney is so that my family would never need another one; we had a pretty traumatizing experience. Asti and all my sisters are a big part of who I am.
6. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm Constitutionalist and registered Independent. I firmly believe the two-party system serves to cause divisiveness among our citizenry, maintain the status quo (when, regardless of who is in office, has the establishment ever meaningfully changed?), and to perpetuate the grand illusion that there are only two sides to every issue and that there is someone who shares your beliefs and worldview - you just have to vote them into office so they can act on your behalf. It boggles my mind how we still buy what we're being sold. Debate, criticize and lambaste over here while the establishment (those domestically and internationally who really run the show) carry out their self-serving agenda over there. I agree with Judge Napolitano, elections are tools of social control that serve to provide the people with meaningless participation in a process that remains the same, no matter what people want. The establishment doesn't want and doesn't have the consent of the governed. We have so lost sight of what the government is supposed to be. It was created by and for the people and we are supposed to have control over it. But the opposite is true and additionally, we fear it. Which is what the Constitution is meant to guard against.
This is a hot-button issue for me... clearly;) Brad's plea to friend's/family in social settings: "Please, don't get her started."
7. I often fantasize about being on Dancing With the Stars. The only reason I want to be even a little bit famous is to have the opportunity to be on that show! It's just the best show in the world. The Good Wife is a close second. And The New Girl is hands down the funniest show on t.v.
8. I have had a job since I was 13 years old. When I told my Mom I wanted a certain kind of shampoo instead of what she bought, she told me that I would have to buy it myself. So, I got a job as a maid and have been buying my own shampoo ever since. Bought all my own cars, paid for my apartments, my bills, college and law school. This is the first time since 13 that I have not had a job - although, cumulatively, I'm sure I've logged more working hours staying at home with Amara than in all previous paying jobs. Once she gets to a certain age, Amara will pay for all of her own things too. She's definitely going to wait tables! I did it for 6 years and I think everyone should do it, at least for a little while.
9. I am truly concerned my daughter is learning how to sing from listening to me sing to her every day and night. I cannot cary a tune! As we sing she matches my tone and tries to harmonize with me and I fear I am setting an awful example of what singing is. Brad said we have to get singing lessons - for me. Whaa!
10. I am generally an organized mess. Okay, I am being a little too generous with characterizing my mess as "organized". I'm a bit haphazard at times and often go onto the next thing in such a hurry I disregard whatever I was presently doing unconsciously and nonchalantly. That doesn't mean, however, that I am generally not present. One of my strong suits, I would say, is being present in the moment and appreciating my surroundings and company. The possibility of getting dirty, ruining, breaking or losing something doesn't dissuade me from doing anything. I'm not risk averse. Except when it comes to the law, I am overly aware and concerned with keeping within its boundaries. Although, I am a staunch believer in Civil Disobedience as well. I live by a code that may seem contradictory but it makes a lot of sense to me - I am an ENFP after all.