Easter Basket Cupcakes
I had a lovely Easter weekend. I spent Saturday making all these cupcakes and they were a lot of fun and very easy! For the sake time, I used boxed cake mix for the chocolate cupcakes and I made buttercream frosting. I had never toasted coconut before but it was very easy and it made my apartment smell so good. The hardest part of these cupcakes was tracking down all the candy I needed. I found the robin eggs at CVS, the sour straws at a candy shop and all the other Easter candy at the Giant down the street.
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
For the Nest Cupcakes, I made chocolate cupcakes (box mix), iced with the buttercream frosting, and rolled them in in toasted coconut. I just followed the directions on the back of the coconut bag to toast. Then, I topped with the those elusive chocolate robin eggs. I used lighter colored jelly bean robin eggs for a couple of them.
For the Easter Basket Cupcakes, I made the cupcakes the same way except I used gel food coloring to dye the frosting green. After icing them, I rolled the cupcakes in sugar and then started decorating. For the toppings, I used:
- Edible grass in green and pink (found it at Giant, you can see what it looks like here)
- Foil wrapped mini chocolate bunnies
- Jelly beans
- Foil wrapped chocolate eggs
- Gummy bunnies and ducks, also found these adorable Peter Rabbit gummies at Giant:)
- pastel M&Ms
- Sour straws
- Easter cupcake liners that came with toothpicks with rabbits and little chicks on them
I hope you had a wonderful Easter!